- Owyhee Sunset Jasper comes from the Owyhee Mountains located on the Idaho/Oregon border along US 95 south of Homedale, Idaho.
- Owyhee Sunset Jasper is known as the “King” of all picture jaspers. It consists of patterns of golds, tans and reds to form beautiful desert scenes in the gemstones.
- The name Owyhee comes from early fur trappers. In 1819, there were three natives from Hawaii, part of Donald McKernies fur trapping expedition. They were sent to trap a large stream that emptied into the Snake River. When they did not return, Mckenzie investigated and found one man murdered in camp and no sign of the others. The stream was named in their honor. “Owyhee” is an early spelling for the word Hawaii.
- Best known for its depictions of mountain and desert scenery.
- First discovered by Bruce Markus of Nampa Idaho in the 1960’s
- Owyhee Sunset Jasper is 6.5-7 on the Mohs’ hardness scale.
- Legend says that jasper would drive away evil spirits and protect against snake and spider bites. Me, I think it just looks cool. It is also believed to be a protective stone and can balance the yin yang energies.
- 100% natural. No treatments.
Please call (800) 888-2444 or email for size, shape, pricing and availability.